City of Alvarado

The Crossroads of Johnson County
Photo montage: butterfly, bicyclists on a trail, a father and daughter playing outside, and sunflowers

Frequently Asked Questions


 1. What are the requirements for new water, sewer and garbage service?

Come to the Utility Billing Department no later than 4:00 p.m. of the day you want the service started, fill out an application and pay the deposit.  Deposits cannot be added to the first month's bill.  You must pay up front before service can be provided.

 2. How soon do I need to call in to get water service?

You may come to the Utility Billing Department anytime up to 4:00 p.m. of the same day you want service.

 3. Can I pay my bill by credit card?

Yes, via phone or internet.  The city accepts VISA, Master Card,  or  Discover.  The city charges a $2.50 convenience charge.  It is important to note that it may take one to two business days for the charge to be credited to your account.

 4. Why is my water bill so high?

We must go by the readings on the meter to calculate your charges, so all we can do is suggest common problem areas for you to check, such as:  Sprinkler systems:  They use more water than most people think.  You can read your meter anytime to keep up with your usage.  If it is set to come on during the night, read the meter before you go to bed, then again the next morning before anyone uses any water to see how many gallons were used.  Commodes:  Sometimes they do not shut off automatically and this can run a lot of water through it while you're away. (Silent leak - described below)  Leak in the line from meter to house:  Sometimes a wet spot does not show on top of the ground.  Water can leak from  the line down into the ground.

 5. How can I tell if my toilet has a silent leak?

Remove the cover to the tank part of the toilet.  Drop 3-4 drops of food coloring (blue, red, or green) in the tank.  Wait 5 - 10 minutes.  If the food coloring appears in the bowl of the toilet, then you have a leak.

 6. How can I tell if I have a leak?

Make sure no one in the house is using water, like dishwashers, showers or washing machine.  Go out to the meter.  On the meter will be a small pea sized circle with a blue or red triangle in it.  Watch this triangle for 5-10 minutes and if it moves, you have a leak.  An older style meter may not have this triangle, so simply see if any of the numbers on the dials change.  If so, there is a leak between the meter and your home or business.

 7. Can I receive an adjustment if I have a water leak?

Yes, each customer is allowed one adjustment per year for a leak.  An adjusted amount is reached by averaging your gallons used for the past six months and subtracting this amount from the current usage and then dividing by two.  In essence, the city splits the cost of the leak with you.

 8. How can the meter reader read my meter if there is so much dirt on it?

Mother Nature has her way of covering up meters by the wind blowing, ground shifting, rain and even mowing your yard.  The meter reader does not necessarily have to wipe off all the dirt in order to read the meter.  Remember, they are trained and do this on a daily basis.

 9. Where is the police department located?

The Alvarado Police Department is located in the City of Alvarado Annex, 600 S. Parkway. This building is open during normal business hours (Mon-Fri / 8am-5pm).

 10. What are the contact numbers for the Alvarado Police Department?

The following are a listing of phone numbers for the Alvarado Police Department:

Administration: 817-790-0910

Criminal Investigations: 817-790-0910

Dispatch: 817-556-6060

 11. What do I do if I am involved in an auto accident?

If you are involved in a minor collision where there are no visible signs of injury to persons involved and the vehicles are drivable then move your vehicle out of the traveled portion of the roadway. Cars left in the road contribute to traffic back-ups, which can cause other collisions. In fact, State law requires that motorists move their cars from freeways. Call the police and exchange driver information.

Accidents resulting in $1000.00 in damage must be reported to the Texas Department of Transportation. This is either done by the officer investigating the collision or by the parties involved by filling out a self reporting accident report (CR-2 or "Blue Form"). The self reporting accident report can be found at http://www.txdot.gov/txdoteforms/GetForm?formName=/CR-2.xdp&appID=/TRF&status=/reportError.jsp&configFile=WFServletConfig.xml

 12. When should I call 9-1-1?

Residents should call 9-1-1 only for police, fire or medical emergencies. When calling 9-1-1, stay on the line and try to remain calm with your information ready. If you are calling to file a police report, it can be made by calling 817-556-6060. To contact a specific police employee call 817-790-0910.
City of Alvarado, Texas | 104 W. College St. | Alvarado, Texas 76009 | Phone: 817-790-3351 Fax: 817-783-7925